Monday, August 16, 2010

So why don't we slide...

Another two days have passed, and although nothing super exciting has happened, at every turn, the scenery never ceases to amaze me.  It's hard to describe in words, or even show in pictures, how beautiful it is up on the mountain top.  All the doors and windows are always open to let in the fresh, crisp mountain breeze cool us down while we clean. Yesterday, after the chores were complete, we headed down the mountain and happened across the infamous (in our hotel anyway) rodelbahn.  In English, that's a really big slide down a mountain.  It was the most exciting thing we've found on our hikes yet.  We paid our 5 euros, hopped in the bobsled type carts, and flew down the mountain to the bottom, where Afritz and an ATM awaited.  The slide was super long and definitely a true Austrian experience.  Once we reached the bottom, Afritz was about a ten minute walk and the ATM, 20 minutes more.  We walked back, then caught the chair lift halfway up to BML.  We hiked the rest, which was straight up and steep.  My thighs are currently screaming at me to stop all this exercise haha.  We shared a nice dinner of grilled chicken marinated in beer, potatoes with onions, and a fabulous salad.   The American couple cooked for all of the workers and the owners. It's down to just the seven of us, but it's very cozy.   We finished the ironing and then went downstairs to look at more pictures with Glenda and Steve.  Jess also shared our pictures with them.  Per usual, Jess and I were pooped by 10 and headed up to bed.  We decided to take it easy today, but an opportunity presented itself we couldn't turn down.  After breakfast, chores, and lunch with Paul and Alicia, Paul offered to drive us to Villach.  He had some grocery shopping to do for a couple of hours and thought we would enjoy looking around while he was shopping.  We graciously accepted, hopped in the land cruiser and headed for Villach, the town the train took us to originally.  It's only a twenty minute drive, but a treat all the same.  We walked around for two hours gazing at the intricate churches, the open market, and all of the towns people doing their back to school shopping.  Our favorite part of Villach was the old town, where no cars were allowed and the streets were cobbled with cute little shops on either side. The market was huge and sold all types of things from pastries to sweater vests.  We headed back up to the BML with more gorgeous scenery all around us.  We did a little vacuuming and then headed up to our room for a short, but absolutely wonderful nap.  Now, here we are at the bar eating our delicious, nothing like totinos or even digiorno, frozen pizza.  We got to add all the extra vegatable toppings we wanted and I think I over did it.  That's so unlike me.  Anyway, I'm signing out for now, but please comment or email me (hmptnkt@gmail.com) if you want to know something I haven't included in my blog (the temperature, climate, language, what I'm eating for breakfast, etc).  I'm trying my best not to overload the blog with details.  More pictures coming soon to a blog near you! 

Cheers,
Katie

1 comment:

  1. so are you guys going to have a chance to travel around the country while you're there? like, take a "vacation" from your "job" at the really "ugly" BML? Sorry, got quotations happy. and how long are you there for before you head elsewhere?? I realized I sent you off without really taking note of all the details!

    ps...wow to me commenting on every post. I am a stalker, yes. expect even more obsessive comments once classes start and I get bored to tears.

    ReplyDelete