Tuesday, August 31, 2010

All By Myself...

Bonjourno everyone!  I wrote this post while sitting on a train last night and am just gonna post my travels until that point, because it's long enough as is.  I meant to post something days ago, but the hostel I was staying at the past few nights didn't have free wifi.  Anyway, I have a lot to tell, but I'll try to keep it short.  I spent a full day Wednesday exploring the parts of Florence I didn't visit four years ago (I know, poor me having been to Florence twice in four years and having to seek out new sites).  My favorite spot by far was the Piazza de Michelangelo.  It was quite the trek uphill with heaps of stairs, but nothing I'm not used to and the view was totally worth it!  The plaza is located on the opposite side of the river than all of the main sites in Florence and situated in the perfect location to look over the whole city in all of its glory.  The views were simply breathtaking!  Of course, after one picture from the Plaza, my camera died:(  Also, in the very center of the plaza is a replica of The David.  Up some more stairs, and you can reach two beautiful churches.  One had an all marble facade and giant marble columns supporting the beautifully painted ceilings.   After descending the endless flights of stairs and crossing the river, I took the long way home and napped to complete my sleep recovery from the night train two nights previously.   Later that evening, I met up with an Australian and three girls from Santa Barbara.  We stayed out in the courtyard till late and then eventually head out to a dance club.  It was quite the experience and let's just leave it at that.  The next morning we all went on the walking tour the hostel offered for FREE!!!!!  It covered the main sites and the tour guide was excellent!   After the tour, the train whisked me off to my next location, Ancona.  Ancona's a port city on the east coast with a lot of ferries going out to Croatia.  The city itself is not very nice, but I was aching something fierce for a beach, and a beach I found!  Friday morning, I embarked on my quest for the ocean.  You wouldn't think it would be that hard, considering I was in a port city, but it proved to be quite the walk.  I got completely disoriented, even with map in hand.  The Italians seem not to think it important to label their streets but once every three miles.  I was a determined young lady, so after two hours, and two stops for directions, I found the beach!  And oh what a coast it was.  To get down to the beach, I had to walk down numorous flights of white stone stairs all descending from a humongous monument standing at the cliff's edge.  The water was crystal clear, the beaches were made of white smooth stones, and there were little houses built into the cliff side.  It's hard to explain, but I took lots of pictures.  I definitely stood out with my lighter than chocolate colored skin, and as they say, when in Rome...So I roasted in the sun (with sunscreen of course) for a few hours and I would say I'm one shade closer to being Italian.  The walk back was long and hot, but I made it back before sun down, which was imperative considering the neighborhood my hostel was in.  I went to bed shortly after getting back, but not before I did a little last minute planning for my next destination.  Based solely on last minute hostel availability and my one requirement that my next stop must be on the coast, I decided on Salerno.  Salerno is on the west coast of Italy, south of Rome and in the same region as Amalfi, Pompeii, and Naples.  Salerno turned out to be a great location, offering tons to do near by.  Sunday approached, and I caught the earliest ferry I could to Amalfi (traveling alone has made me resort back to the olden days when people planned their days around when the sun was up.  I'm up around 7 and back by 7:30, before nightfall).  This was by far the most beautiful ferry ride I've ever taken!  The 35 minute ride was chalk full of views of the famed rugged Amalfi coast with all of its cute little villages.  After a little exploration of Amalfi, I started my long and treacherous route to Praiano.   The Amalfi coast technically covers the coast from Positano in the north 17 kilometers down to Amalfi in the south.  Praiano is about halfway between the two.  I assumed there would be numerous walking accommodations (sidewalks, shoulders, paths, etc.) alongside the cliff edge road that runs between all the coastal towns.  You know what they say about assumptions.  But I braved the narrow, trafficked road in the mid day sun determined to to find the two most famous geological features along the Amalfi coast, the Emerald Grotto and the Furore Fjord.  A few kilometers and a few scares later, and I happened upon the grotto. I somehow got lumped along with an Irish tour group on the boat excursion, but not to my dismay.  They were loud, welcoming, and most were afraid of the boat, which made for a fun ride.  I felt very at home.  I said my goodbyes with some longing as they boarded their deluxe air conditioned bus and I continued on my way to the fjord.  A couple of kilometers later, and there I was.  Not a minute after I arrived at the fjord's beach, the "beach manager" (yeah right, I think he was just a waiter at the beach's restaurant) greeted me and gave me a lounge chair on the house, along with a glass of wine and a cappacino a little later.  Being an American girl alone in Italy is not all that bad (as long as it's in broad daylight).  I lay on the beautiful beach for a few hours before deciding I best get going if I wanted to get back to Salerno before dark.   I continued in the northern direction for a few more kilometers before I happened upon the little town of Praiano and its bus stop.  Not knowing I had to have a bus ticket, I boarded with money in hand.  The bus driver scoffed, but let me on anyway (best free bus ride ever!)   I had now scene one of the most infamously beautiful coast lines by ferry, on foot, and by bus.  I caught a second bus to Salerno, showered, and crashed.  The next day was Monday, and I was planning on meeting Jess later that night in Brindisi, but I couldn't leave the Salerno area without visiting the most famous archeological sites in the world, Pompeii.  Pompeii was absolutely incredible, but after about 1 1/2 hours with tired feet and the sun beating down on your slightly burned shoulders, grandeur palaces of centuries ago turn into crumbling brick after crumbling brick.  I was out of there by one, caught the short train back to Salerno, gathered my stuff back at the hostel, and caught my long train to Brindisi.   Sorry this post was so long, but this past week was crammed with amazing sites and amazing people!  I didn't mention them in my blog, but I met countless people along the road that have helped me with directions, travel suggestions, train schedules, or just lent a friendly ear to a girl who loves to talk.  A wise man once said that the only adventures worth experiencing are the ones that scare the bejeezus out of you at first, or something like that.  As much as I've enjoyed this week on my own, I'm really looking forward to spending more than two nights in one place, eating at least two meals a day, and having someone to fully communicate with. I'll update you soon on how my work is going in Brindisi!

Ciao!
Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment