Saturday, August 14, 2010

Defying Gravity

Good morning to you all!  The clouds have cleared and Jess and I are enjoying the expanded scenery sitting in the lounge area in our cozy mountain lodge.  After our chores yesterday, we went hiking half a mile up to the top of the mount Verditz.  This was my first experience hiking in the Alps and wow did I struggle.  It's nothing like the Appalachian trails.  The trails are much more of a straight shot upwards instead of zigzagging and it did a number on my heart and quads.     It did give us a fabulous view of the little towns below and also a low lying cloud layer.  We were actually above the clouds (hence the title of this post)!  When we got back, we dried off a little because it had started to rain on the last bit our our hike down.  We then had dinner with the Dutch (from Holland) owners, Paul and Alicia, and all of their friends visiting from Holland.  Steve and Glenda were still in Slovenia on their day off.  Dinner was so perfect.  It was like a family gathered around the dinner table with great conversation and food.  We had lasagna, tomatoes, fried veggie things, and some different cakes from a bakery.  After dinner, we still had about four industrial sized bags of linens to iron.  Ironing has never been a favorite chore of mine and last night didn't change my opinion of it.  With our inexperience of ironing, we were quite slow moving at first, but then Glenda came to the rescue once again.  She's been quite the advocate for us and been giving us tips on how to cut down the work load and stand up for ourselves.  Between just Jess and I (and all my readers) we've been calling her Glenda the Good.   She is like our mother figure in the lodge, watching out for us and our work load.(Never would I have thought I needed a mother).   After her little chat with us in the laundrey room, we finished the last three bags with lightening speed.  It was a bit of trouble for Jess and I to leave our perfectionist ways behind, but our exhaustion was a good incentive.  We finished the last of the duvet covers and headed downstairs where Glenda and Steve were waiting to show us pictures of their adventures of the day, as well as their past travels.  We called it an early night, and here I am.  The goal today is to somehow get down the mountain, avoiding the 6 euro chair lift, and getting to an ATM.  I currently have 60 euro cents.  We also want to visit a lake that sits at the bottom of the mountain and test the waters.   But now, I'm hungry, and off to breakfast.  I'll let you know tomorrow how the search for an ATM went! 

Cheers,
Katie

1 comment:

  1. okay, first question: do you have an international phone? you mentioned in your last post that it died, but I'm assuming it's not your good old American cell phone. just curious (don't worry, I don't want to call you, you know how we BOTH feel about chatting on the phone. I think skype wll do...speaking of which, do you have an account? mine's brianna.awesome ... naturally)

    second...crap I forget what my second question was. but it sounds like your work load is pretty light considering you have most of the day free! I am living vicariously through you, keep these posts coming.

    ReplyDelete