Sunday, October 3, 2010

Little town, it's a quiet village...

Ok everyone, after this post, I'll FINALLY be up to date with my travels and you'll actually be reading what's happening to me in the here and now.  But if you remember, I left off two Thursdays ago, September 23rd, when I had to catch a train from Interlaken to Annecy for my next workaway endeavor.  Public transportation can be a funny thing.  You think you know it, and then BAM, it changes.  I guess that's how a lot of things are.  Anyway,  I'll spare you the miniscule details and just tell you the gist of the situation.  The man at the Interlaken train station told me one, super confusing way to get to Annecy and assured me it was the best way, as round about as it seemed.  After handing over a hefty sum, I received my tickets and felt prepared for the coming journey.   After a couple of transfers, I arrived in Geneva, the confusion and doubt inevitably kicking in.  I went to the ticket office in Geneva after finally accepting I couldn't figure out my route on my own, and showed the man behind the counter the agenda I was given in Interlaken.  He shook his head and said that was the WORST way to get to Annecy.  After some disgruntled mumbles, he refunded me my train ticket to Annecy and informed me that France was on a transportation strike and no trains were running even if I did want to take the wretched original route given to me.  He pointed outside the station and gave me extremely vague directions to the bus station where I could catch a bus to Annecy.  I swear people think they'll catch the plague if they give more specific directions than a point and a wave of the arm.  Despite my inquiry of more details, I received nothing. Just a point.  I walked out of the train station feeling just as lost as when I arrived, but at least with 28 more Swiss francs in pocket.  After asking three different people outside the station where I could find the buses, I finally got a man who gave me a street and plaza name.  I couldn't believe it!  I was given a street name!  I thought it would never happen.  Anyway, I found the bus station, bought my ticket and wondered around Geneva for an hour before my bus left.  The bus ride was actually quite lovely, passing through countless little French towns.  I arrived in Annecy at around 1:30 and had a few hours to kill before Jess arrived from Rome and subsequently we were picked up by the hotel owners.  With nowhere to store my bags, I dragged my rolling bag throughout the old part of town trying to be as discreet as possible.  That got old quickly, so after being satisfied I had seen enough charming churches, beautiful bridges, and quaint hotels, I headed back to the train station to sit out the last part of my wait.  Annecy also sits next to a lake surrounded by the Alps and is an absolutely precious town with canals, cobbled stone streets, and castles.  What more could you ask for?  Jess arrived at around 6 after her own troubles of traveling during the strike and Paul picked us up shortly after to bring us to the chalet.   This workaway posting advertised the need for eight people for the long weekend of Thursday through Tuesday to help transition the hotel/chalet from the summer season to the winter/ski season.  Both the owners, Paul and Jess, are from England and have owned the chalet for four years (I think...?).   The hotel is catered to the adventurous spirit and has equipment for whatever thrill seeking activities you're into, from mountain biking to via ferrata.  Paul and Jess were both the most gracious, wonderful hosts we could ever have hoped for!  After arriving, we got to meet the rest of the crew, all who had arrived before us.  There was Dina from Canada, Jenn from Wales, and Hannah from New Zealand  (A few workawayers canceled last minute.  Sucks for them).   And we mustn't forget the hired help, a couple from Scotland, Chris and Nicole.  Chris was the fabulous chef who prepared us authentic three course French dinners every night, and his wife, Nicole, was in charge of the cleaning and dinner presentation.  All in all, it was the greatest group of nine people we could have asked to spend the weekend with and we were cursing the fact that it was only for a long weekend.   Our big project for the weekend was altering pillow cases (oooooo, exciting), which Dina headed up, being the professional seamstress and all.  We worked from 9-1, with a mid-morning tea break of course,  Friday to Monday.  When we weren't de-stitching, ironing, or ripping for Dina, we were doing odd jobs around the chalet.  Dusting the boiler room, organizing book shelves, and exchanging summer for winter gear in the equipment room are just some examples.   Also, my pick axing skills learned in Honduras definitely came into use when asked to dig a giant hole in the side yard for cement to be poured.  Jess and Hannah were very impressed. After work each day, we got to pick from a myriad of things to do in the area.  We hiked in the teaming rain the first day, which might have been a little too soon after Augstmatthorn, but still definitely an experience to be had.  Saturday, we headed down to a little French town down the mountain side that was hosting a cow festival, where all the farmers in the area brought their best cows to be judged in several criteria. (girth, height, horns, utters, etc.)  It was all very countryside chic.  Of course the festival also involved the selling of all things delicious and artery clogging, which we indulged on with some churros.  Farmers were not there only to show their cows, but also to sell their produce, honey, and any other products that can be made on a farm.  Sunday, Jess drove us the twenty minute drive into Annecy, where there's an open market every week selling all sorts of fresh food and the usual goodies.  And last, but DEFINITELY not least, we went paragliding after work Monday.  The French Alps are apparently one of the best places to do it, and I can see why.  After a quick speed walk off the side of a mountain cliff, your parachute opens up and you're soaring thousands of feet above ground looking over the expanse of the Alps, tiny little French towns scattering the landscape.   I really can't describe the experience except to say that it was one of a kind and surprisingly very relaxing.  If you aren't afraid of heights, I would definitely recommend paragliding!  After the paragliding, we headed back up for, sadly, our last meal at the chalet.  I think I can speak for everyone when I say we were all sad to leave come Tuesday morning.  We all got along great and had really bonded over the short period of time we were together.  But alas, we had planes, trains and obligations taking us in separate directions, but with hopes of meeting again!  Our flights/trains were out of Geneva, mine the earliest, so Paul drove us early Tuesday to the Geneva Airport, where a plane was waiting to take me to Mallorca.   And that is my trip up to my current destination, a little town south of Palma.  I will save all that has happened here for my next post, which should be up by tomorrow! 

Bonjour,

Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment