Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Time to Say Goodbye...

It's been a long while since I wrote last, and a whole lot has happened, so I'm just going to break things up into separate posts.  I left off two Thursdays ago, and at that point, Jess and I just had a few more days to go in Brindisi.  There's not much to say about Jess and I's last few days in Brindisi, but definitely some mentionable excursions.  We had our most memorable guest of the whole three weeks check in Thursday evening and her name was Ruth.  Where she was from depends entirely on which hostel staff member you ask considering she told us all different things.  For a most detailed and hilarious run down of this character, I'll redirect you to Susannah's blog post about Ruth, because she really can't be described any better.  http://schwoops.blogspot.com/2010/09/ruth.html.


Moving on, Steph's friend from New Zealand, Sarah, showed up unexpectedly on Friday, which allowed Jess and I some time off before we left.  We took another little day trip to a small town just thirty minutes northwest of Brindisi, Ostuni (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostuni)  It was a very cute town made entirely of white stone with blue window sills and doors to contrast the white.  It was set high on a hill in Puglia and from a distance, looks like a fortress.  After wandering the winding, narrow alleys and staircases for about 4 hours and tasting a little gelato heaven in the town center, Jess and I headed home to visit Susannah in downtown Brindisi.  The day before, Susannah and I had run into a painter at the Brindisi port, and Susannah being the overtly social person she is, somehow started painting with this man and was invited back to paint with him as a kind of protege .  Jess and I found Susannah in the gallery after our Ostuni visit and we were all allowed a little artistic go on his floral canvases.  I'm sure the three of us demolished a work of art, but totally worth the experience!    Our last few nights passed as all the rest and the crew gave us a fond farewell when we left Sunday.  Jess headed for Rome at 1 and I was to make a long journey to Interlaken, Switzerland on a night train that left at 10:30.  It was sad to say goodbye, but Jess and I were also excited to be living out of our suitcases again!  And that's where I'll leave off for now.  But I promise there will be more posts and pictures very soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment